News Channel 3 is teaming up with Shelby County Schools to find people in our community who are willing to serve in the Team Read program.
Watch the full Team Read special above to find out more.
No prior experience is necessary. All you need is a willing spirit and a desire to help our children learn to read.
Volunteer tutors agree to:
• Attend a volunteer training
• Complete the SCS background check that includes fingerprinting
• Tutor two students for 30 minutes (total one hour) per week during the school day.
• Use the Team Read method to teach sight words
Team Read is focused on helping second graders improve their sight word vocabulary.
By third grade, students shift from learning to read to reading to learn. Research shows if students are not reading proficiently by third grade, they are four times more likely to drop out of school.
• In Shelby County Schools, only 30 percent of third graders read proficiently at grade level.
• Without intervention, nearly 6,000 SCS students not reading proficiently at grade level by third grade will stay behind for the duration of their school experience.