MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Organizers of the St. Jude IRONMAN 70.3 Memphis triathlon have canceled the event for 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The inaugural event – which was scheduled for October 3 at Shelby Farms Park – has already been rescheduled for October 2, 2021.
“In what has been a continually evolving and challenging time globally, we thank our athletes for their commitment and look forward to providing them with an exceptional race experience in the future,” organizers said in a release Wednesday.
The announcement that Memphis would host the latest Ironman event was announced in November 2019 with organizers calling Shelby Farms an “ideal place to host a race.”
The swimming event was supposed to take place in Hyde Lake, and the running and bike events taking place through the park.
- Governor Bill Lee says he plans to address 3rd grade reading and math issues within weeks
- President Trump unveils health care plan, signs order protecting preexisting conditions
- Shelby County officials announce new development in South Memphis to address infrastructure
- What are some of the nationwide solutions to help students most in need during the pandemic?
- Memphis activists say man pointed gun at them during march for Breonna Taylor