MEMPHIS, Tenn. — With summer in full swing, the city says it has a plan to help kids play their way through the break from school.
Play Your Park, part of the mayor’s initiative to keep children engaged in and out of the classroom, kicked off Monday.
“I like to get out in the sunshine,” said 10-year-old Taylor Logan. “I like to run around and play with other kids.”
So far 10 parks are already taking part in the initiative geared towards keeping children from resorting to negative behavior during summer break.
For Taylor it’s the monkey bars — she heads towards the playground before anything else. But this year’s play your park will bring moon walks, waterslides, dodge ball, and tetherball to communities throughout the city.
“As parents we should make them go outside, get them off the tablets. It’s our responsibility too, to help them get outside and play,” said Lateisha Bobo, who brought her children to Brentwood park on Josephine to test out the program.
She didn’t even know Play Your Park started Monday, but she was thrilled to try it out.
“They be more tired — you don’t have to wait until they go to sleep.”
The city is hoping that even parents will hop on board and bring their children to play all summer long.
The program runs from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays through Fridays until August 3.
All participants need to do is show up at the park and sign in to take part. A free lunch is provided as well.
Play Your Parks opened in these locations Monday:
- Bartlett Meadows – 5195 Twin Wood Avenue
- May Field – 6417 Quince Road
- Fletcher Creek – 8743 Dexter Road
- Winridge – 3500 Ridgeway Road
- Wilson – 2969 Clarke Road
- Oakhaven – 3875 Bishops Bridge Road
- Alcy – 2495 Warren Street
- Charjean – 2601 Ketchum Road
- Brentwood – 700 Josephine Street
- Cherokee Park – 2999 Filmore Avenue
It will open in these parks in the coming weeks:
- Binghampton – 2606 Everett Avenue
- Audubon – 751 Cherry Road
- Gaisman – 4221 Macon Road
- Polly Williams – 3888 Auburn Road
- Southside – 26 South Parkway East
- Westwood – 810 Western Park Drive
- Denver – 3475 Denver Street
- Gooch – 1974 Hunter Avenue
- Douglass – 1616 Ash Street
- Bickford – 232 Bickford Avenue