Woman blames faulty electrical outlets for apartment fire


Photo: WREG

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A woman had been sleeping outside for three days after a fire tore through her Midtown apartment. Tuesday, with our help, she finally got a place to stay.

Hazel Balfour claimed her landlord wouldn’t offer her a place to stay even though she said “faulty electrical outlets” are to blame for starting the fire in the first place.

But the property manager disputes that.

“This lady is trying to raise a $100 worth of hell,” the property manager said. “The fire department says it’s an electrical problem, but they don’t know if it was the appliance, which was her television.”

The city’s code enforcement office confirmed it visited the unit two times in March, leaving the owner a notice to correct during the last visit, but the city’s notes don’t specify what issue needed to be corrected.

Either way, Balfour’s apartment is in ruins and she can’t live there now.

WREG’s Luke Jones contacted the Red Cross to see if they could help — and they could!

Balfour said the Red Cross agreed to pay for her medicine, which she lost in the fire, as well as the deposit and first month’s rent at another apartment.

“My prayers, my blessings, thank you.”


Latest News

More News