MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Two people were shot and killed in the Soulsville area of South Memphis on Saturday, police said.
Memphis Police said officers responded to a man-down call around 4:45 p.m. in the 900 block of Stafford Avenue.
A man and a woman were found inside an apartment unit and were suffering from gunshot wounds. Both victims were pronounced dead at the scene, police said.
Marcus Taylor said he’s never seen an incident like this in 21 years of living in the area.
“We’re not the community that’s going to sit back and not say anything,” Taylor said. “It’s just strange. We hadn’t heard any gunshots. Maybe two or three nights ago. Maybe.”
Police are still investigating exactly when the shooting happened, so it’s unclear how long the two people have been dead inside the home.
This is still an ongoing investigation, and police did not release any suspect information. Police also have not yet identified either shooting victim.
“Whoever they are that committed this crime, please give that family closure,” Taylor said.
Taylor said incidents like this don’t happen too often on his block, and he said he’s confident the truth will come out.
“South Memphis still some good,” he said. “You got some parameters. You got some bad spots. You got some stores that’s around letting the young folks hang out and cut up and clown, but for the most part, this is pretty much a good community.”
If you have any information, call Crime Stoppers at 901-528-CASH.
- The CDC issues a dire warning for the fall if coronavirus measures are not followed
- Without college football, sports networks will have to fill a whole lot of airtime
- ‘I had no clue it would impact so many’: Teacher’s positive back-to-school post goes viral
- SCS updates school dress code for virtual learners
- Dolly Parton releasing first Christmas album in 30 years