Suspects still at large following East Memphis robbery, shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Data pix.
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Two men were critically injured over the weekend after three suspects opened fire during a robbery, and the victims say they're so scared they're never returning home.

It happened Saturday in the 3700 block of Vanuys Road in the Sherwood Forest area of East Memphis. Shattered glass covers the porch and bullet holes lettered A through F marked the front of the home.

“I’m extremely traumatized,” said Adriene, a University of Memphis graduate student who doesn’t want us to use her last name because she’s afraid of what else could happen.

“I’m just shaken up, emotional, just probably gonna have nightmares about it.”

One of the victims in Saturday's robbery is recovering. He did not want to be named.

She said she was hanging out with friends early Saturday morning around 1 a.m. when two men who were on the porch said three other men approached them and told them to hand over everything.

"All the sudden we hear these shots being fired, and I look over and my fiancé is on the ground crawling, telling us to run," she said.

In the chaos, she said they crawled to a back room and hid behind a bed.

“I don’t know if everyone is still alive and I don’t know if were gonna die,” she recalled.

Nextdoor neighbor Dominique Watson heard it as well.

“I could smell gunpowder,” Watson said.

Adriene says in all, they fired around 20 times into the home, hitting two of the people, including her fiance.

"Jonathan knew we were inside so he tried to shut the door and the guy shot multiple rounds through the door. One hit Jonathan and went through his hip.”

She said after that, they ran off with a wallet and cell phone.

The bullet went through Jonathan's midsection and remarkably did not hit any organs. He expected to make a full recovery.

“If it had been a couple centimeters higher I would’ve been paralyzed from the waist down," he said.

He said he saw a man in a black hoodie point an AR-15 right at him. He told his fiancé and friends to get to the back of the house, then slammed the door, but the men kept shooting into the house.

Another man who got shot in the leg had surgery is expected to recover.

But Adriene said their friends are never going back to this house, and their neighbor across the street understands why.

“I’m getting chills right now thinking about it. And for it to happen to nobody that lives that type of life, that’s crazy,” the neighbor said.

Data pix.


Latest News

More News