MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A suspect was detained after being accused of firing shots at an off-duty officer on I-240 and then leading police on a pursuit early Wednesday morning.
According to Memphis police, an off-duty officer was traveling down I-240 near Poplar Avenue when the driver of a green Ranger pulled up beside him and fired a shot. The officer obtained the vehicle tag number and reported the incident to police along with the direction of travel.
Authorities said the officer was not in a police vehicle and was not hurt during the incident.
The suspect was located at I-240 and Mt. Moriah where a traffic stop was attempted, but the suspect refused to stop. Police said the supect just missed hitting their cars and other drivers as he drove recklessly down the interstate.
The suspect led police on a chase all the way to Fletcher Road in Collierville where his vehicle malfunctioned, authorities said. The driver was taken into custody after a short foot chase.
Neighbors WREG’s Melissa Moon spoke to said all the commotion got their attention.
“I was in the bed and it was flaslhing through the window, and I got up and said, ‘Well, what is going on,'” said one resident who didn’t want to be identified.
She looked out her window and saw crime scene tape and a vehicle in someone’s yard.
Memphis police identified the suspect as Trae Payne, 25. He was charged with aggravated assault, evading arrest and reckless driving.
According to court records, he has been arrested twice before for speeding and driving with a suspended/revoked license.
Memphis Police report 71 interstate shootings this year.
- New Tennessee law makes ‘offensive’ nonconsensual public photos illegal
- ‘Little slice of hell’: Colorado home with profane graffiti covering carpets, walls listed for $590,000
- TN AMBER Alert: Search continues for 5-year-old Summer Wells missing from Rogersville
- Victoria’s Secret says goodbye to Angels, hires Megan Rapinoe, Priyanka Chopra as ambassadors
- Wildlife manager finds $1.2M in cocaine while surveying Florida sea turtle nests