MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The subject of a City Watch alert from the Memphis Police Department was found murdered in his Berclair home.
According to police, an alert was issued for Thomas Harris on July 6 after he had not been seen or heard from for eight days. His vehicle was later located parked at 770 Bartlett at the Summer East Apartments, prompting a search of his home.
He was located on July 8.
Authorities canceled the alert on Monday, but didn’t release any specific details. On Tuesday, they revealed that the 79-year-old had been found shot to death near his home in the 1000 block of Mendenhall Cove.
Abalberto Jaimez was taken into custody in Florida and charged with first-degree murder, first-degree murder in perpetration of theft, theft of property and fraud.
Authorities said they believe Jaimez knew the victim.
His neighbors told WREG’s Melissa Moon Harris kept to himself. They hadn’t seen Harris or his truck in his driveway for a while, but didn’t think much about it until deputies showed up looking for him.
They had never seen Jaimez and were curious about what happened here, but relieved to know someone has been caught.
- Amazon to hire 100,000 for new seasonal jobs
- ‘Magic Tree House’ books to be adapted into graphic novels
- Shelby County School District extends deadline for parents to declare if students will participate in phased reopening
- Skull found on fireplace mantle that of missing Tennessee man
- Family of man who died in custody files wrongful death lawsuit against Texas county