This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SOUTHAVEN, Miss. — Students at one Desoto County School got a surprise Monday morning.

Students and staff were evacuated from the building after a gas valve popped off in the Southaven Middle School kitchens.

The staff smelled smoke and immediately shut off the valve and activated the alarm system that called the fire department.

A post to the Desoto County Schools eNews page said students had to wait outside for 20 minutes while fire crews worked to fix the problem.

All the gas to the school was turned off, and the contractor who recently renovated the kitchen was contacted.

“Students were evacuated for precautionary reasons. The fire department examined the situation and approved students and staff could safely return to class,” said Principal Levi Williams. “We have emergency procedures and our kitchen staff followed them.”

Sack lunches are being prepared until the issue is completely fixed.

Desoto County Schools eNews/ Facebook
Desoto County Schools eNews/ Facebook