Bonner: Officers have long recovery ahead of them after shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The Shelby County Sheriff’s Office held a news conference on Friday updating the public after two of their deputies were injured in a shooting earlier this week.

According to Sheriff Floyd Bonner, one deputy was shot a total of seven times with one of the bullets striking him in the vest. The other was injured when a police K9 bit him. Officials said they believe the dog became spooked during the gunfire.

“We’re very fortunate, very  blessed that this turned out that these officers did not get harmed or hurt any more seriously.”

Both law enforcement officers have been released from the hospital and have a long recovery ahead of them at home. The main focus for these officers right now is to help them recover both physically as well as mentally. They- along with at least two other law enforcement officers involved – will be debriefed and will be talking with professionals to make sure they are okay before they come back to work, Bonner said.

Bonner thanked other local law enforcement officers and agencies for their response to the incident, saying that many officers -both on-duty and off-duty- showed up at the Regional Medical Center to check on the injured deputies and their families. He also thanked the local community for the many calls and showing of support he received from local leaders, pastors and citizens alike.

Finally he said he wanted everyone to remember the suspect and his family.

“We still want to offer our condolences to the suspect and his family. I’ll ask the community to continue to pray for them as well.”

What we know

According to preliminary information, officers with the Multi-Agency Gang Unit served a felony arrest warrant at a home on Haven Circle, off Hernando Road. It’s believed that the suspect Willie Hudson did not live here. Instead, a tipster alerted detectives to his whereabouts.

The task force officers were given permission to enter the home and at some point encountered an armed individual.

The suspect – who was identified by the TBI as Willie Hudson -was shot and killed on the scene, Buckner said.

The deputy who was shot was taken to the hospital in critical condition. The sheriff’s office said he was shot five or six times, but was alert. He was later upgraded to non-critical condition before finally being released from the hospital early Thursday morning.

Another deputy who was injured was taken to a hospital in non-critical condition. The sheriff’s office said he had been bitten by a dog. The injured deputy has since been released from the hospital.

According to sources, Hudson was wanted for attempted first-degree murder and for being a convicted felon in possession of handgun. But his criminal history doesn’t end there.

In November 2017, Hudson was charged with aggravated assault and unlawful possession of a handgun, among several other charges. According to court documents, police responded to a call at an apartment complex on Graceland Drive where a teenager said his mother had been beaten and choked by Hudson. According to the affidavit, the minor told police Hudson hit his mother in the head with a gun, threatening to kill her.

In June of 2015, he was arrested for harassment and yet another aggravated assault charge. This was after spending three years in jail for robbery.

Prior to that, WREG found years of drug charges dating back to 2005.

Latest News

More News