MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Nine different accidents on Interstate 55 near the Hernando, Mississippi sent several people to the hospital Tuesday, DeSoto County officials said.
The DeSoto County Sheriff’s Office said there were at least five wrecks on northbound I-55 and at least two on the southbound side, all near the Hernando exit, around 4 p.m.
The sheriff’s office said several people were taken to the hospital, but none had critical injuries.
All southbound lanes were blocked, as cameras showed a major traffic backup in both directions.
Around 6 p.m., Mississippi Highway Patrol said all lanes of I-55 were reopened, but they urged drivers to use caution in the area.
- Police: One man injured in South Memphis shooting
- Truck splattered with yellow paint when road stripes fail to dry
- FIRST ON 12 NEWS: One-on-one with U.S. Senate candidate Mike Espy
- Nearly a dozen cars burglarized at Cordova hotel
- Man arrested in connection with deadly Hickory Hill shooting