SCS working to increase security after brawl at Whitehaven High School

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

MEMPHIS, Tenn -- A fight involving 50 young people outside of Whitehaven High School erupted into what some parents called complete mayhem.

"That's kind of you know ridiculous," Willie Bell, who lives near the school, said.

Police said a group of guys were punching and kicking one another after a basketball game Friday night.

Five people were arrested and charged with assault, including two juveniles. The three adults arrested are Deadnik Simmons, Rashad Thompson, and Brandon Moncrief. All three appeared in court on Monday.

"It needs more security. Yes. I really think so," Bell said.

Parents at the school Monday said security officers disappear once sporting events end at the school.

A spokesperson for Shelby County Schools sent the following statement:

We are working with MPD to increase the security measures around the area following Friday’s incident. At this time, we have no indication that every individual involved was a student; sporting events usually attract crowds from outside of either school competing. Any student identified as having a role in the incident will face disciplinary action.

Three months ago, parents called for more security at Central High School football games after a lot of teenagers attacked a woman's car.

"Oh God. I mean is that what the world's going to turn out to be? We got to hand over this to them," Bell said.

While the school district plans on disciplining the students involved in the fight, neighbors said parents need to step up too.

"It should start at home," Bell said. "I mean you should start disciplining your child at home."

The two juveniles arrested by police were taken to juvenile court, charged, and released to their parents. The teenagers are expected in court later in January.

The three adults charged in the case are expected back in court in March.

Latest News

More News