MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A man is dead after police say he got inside an MLGW worker’s truck in Whitehaven, leading to a deadly confrontation with the worker Wednesday.
The suspect was taken to a hospital where he later died. The MLGW worker, who received non-critical injuries, was detained by police but later released without charges.
On Friday, Memphis Police identified the man killed as 29-year-old JC Payne IV. They have not provided additional details on how Payne died or whether charges would be filed.
Police responded to the robbery call on Michael Road near Lydgate around 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
The worker told police he was behind a house making repairs when he found a man inside his work truck. The suspect hit the employee in the face and the two started fighting.
Both were taken to hospitals once first responders arrived. The suspect arrived at the emergency room in critical condition and later died.
Authorities still haven’t determined how the man died.
The MLGW employee was intiailly detained by police but was later released without charge.
- Senate votes to advance Amy Coney Barrett; confirmation expected Monday
- Police: Woman found shot to death at Whitehaven Motel 6
- Memphis Police investigating shooting in South Memphis
- The Latest: Pence’s top aide tests positive for coronavirus
- Instructor, student pilot died in Magnolia Springs plane crash; both Identified