MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A man was killed in a shooting in a parking lot near a North Memphis nightclub Sunday morning.
Police said they responded to a shooting near Hughes Night Club at just after 4 a.m. Sunday.
Officers reportedly found one victim with gunshot wounds. He was pronounced dead on the scene.
The club’s owner, Roy Hughes, told WREG the shooting didn’t happen at his club.
“I was trying to sell food, trying to make it through this COVID-19 thing,” Hughes said.
Hughes said the shots rang out only moments after he served the victim.
“I think he bought a half slab of ribs,” Hughes said. “He was a real nice guy, and I hate it for him.”
Hughes said he heard shots being fired in the area and had to take cover himself.
“I didn’t understand where it came from until a guy ran back around and said somebody needs to call the police,” Hughes said.
Police were able to get surveillance video and hope the camera was pointing in the direction of where the shooting happened.
Memphis Police said the suspect was wearing a mask and a white shirt.
If you have any information, call Crime Stoppers at 901-528-CASH.
- President Trump talks Supreme Court nominee, election, coronavirus and football in NewsNation interview
- Bar owner excited to reopen after being shut down for six months
- Election commission votes against FedExForum as early voting site
- Pelosi announces bipartisan deal to avoid shutdown
- 3 people shot late Tuesday; Memphis Police say no suspect information is known at this time