Family thought abducted returns to Memphis home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Neighbors were on edge this morning as police searched for a mother and two children missing from a High Point Terrace home.

Police said they received a 911 call from a 15-year-old who said her mother, Catherine Rippe, was being assaulted by her boyfriend, Randall Foster,Sr.,  inside a home in the 400 block of North Graham.

When authorities arrived, the house was empty and they found blood and signs of forced entry.

Police were told the family was forcibly taken by Foster, Sr., who is the father of the missing nine-year-old and boyfriend of the missing woman.

With a mobile command unit parked outside the home, police began an eight hour search for Rippe, 15-year-old Riley, and nine-year-old Randall Foster, Jr.

That search was eventually called off when Rippe and her children pulled up in front of the home in a black Chevrolet Silverado. They quickly got out of the car and went inside the home.

When asked about their whereabouts, Rippe said they spent the night at another home.

Foster, Sr. was nowhere in sight.

"There is some conflicting information about what actually occurred. We are trying to determine if they were taken against their will or not," police said.

A City Watch was issued for Foster, Sr. due to concerns that he might hurt himself, but later canceled when he showed up at the home.

Authorities said he has been taken into custody for evaluation, but no criminal charges have been filed at this time.

As police work to sort out the details, WREG has learned the family has a history of domestic violence.

In 2009, a warrant was issued for Foster's arrest after he was accused of kicking a family member in the head.

Police were called out to the home again when Foster reportedly shoved a family member down a flight of stairs and attacked her with a pull up bar. The victim was holding a child at the time of the attack.

The latest attack happened in January 2017.

During that incident, Foster reportedly became upset and began punching a family member in the face with a closed fist as one of the children tried to intervene.

Foster is due in court next week.

Latest News

More News