Police: El Paso shooting suspect said he targeted Mexicans

News

Authorities on the scene of a shooting at a Walmart near Cielo Vista Mall in El Paso, Texas, on Saturday, August 3, 2019.

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

EL PASO, Texas (AP) — Authorities say the 21-year-old man accused of carrying out the deadly mass shooting at an El Paso Walmart confessed after surrendering and said he had been targeting Mexicans.

El Paso Detective Adrian Garcia said in an arrest warrant affidavit that Patrick Crusius emerged with his hands up from a vehicle stopped at an intersection shortly after last Saturday’s attack and told officers, “I’m the shooter.”

El Paso shooter suspect, Patrick Crusius, booking photo

He says Crusius later waived his Miranda Rights and agreed to speak with detectives, telling them he was targeting Mexicans during his attack.

Twenty-two people were killed in the attack and about two dozen others were wounded. Many of the dead had Latino last names and eight of them were Mexican nationals. El Paso sits on the border with Mexico.

Popular

Latest News

More News