MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A pedestrian was reportedly hit and killed on I-40 near Sycamore View.
Memphis Police say the pedestrian was struck by an 18-wheeler while trying to evade officers who had pulled him over. Officers reportedly stopped him because he was in a car that matched the description of one that had been involved in a shoplifting.
Police say the passenger in the car moved into the driver’s seat and fled the scene.
The accident caused traffic heading eastbound along I-40 to come to a halt as first responders worked the scene.
This is a developing story.
- US tops 13M confirmed coronavirus cases
- Grizzlies announce preseason schedule, playing against Minnesota, Atlanta
- Ravens-Steelers game pushed back to Tuesday, Dec. 1
- Suspects on the run in Mississippi after ramming deputy’s vehicle, fleeing the scene
- Whitehaven church opens boutique to help families in need