Paralyzed man forced to sit in scalding hot water

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A paralyzed man was forced to sit in a bathtub of scalding hot water at his Whitehaven home on Tuesday.

"When we looked his skin was peeling down his leg," Chelsea Taylor described.

The man's body was covered with second-degree burns.

"We looked on his backside, and he had like three burn marks on his back," Taylor said.

Taylor said she was related to the victim, who is paralyzed from the waist down.

"It all falls back on the family," Taylor said. "So now we're going through my boyfriend being charged with neglect."

Police said it was Taylor's boyfriend, Demontay Henderson, who admittedly put the man in the tub at a home on Maplecrest in Whitehaven.

"I don't believe my boyfriend had anything to do with that," Taylor said.

Taylor believed her cousin's caretaker was behind the abuse.

However, police said the victim told Henderson the water was too hot.

He allegedly replied, "you just might need it."

"I can't just say that that's true because, like I said, I was here the whole time all of his baths and for the simple fact that he sat there, and he didn't say anything. Because, as a family member, I would have instantly ran, turned off the water and been like 'get him out'," Taylor said.

Officers said Henderson admitted to knowing the water was too hot but still decided to put the victim in the tub.

"It's hard," Taylor told WREG. "It's a hard situation on us right now."

Neighbors were freaked out after seeing the police cars and ambulances on Tuesday, but many said they just found out what happened on Wednesday.

"Wow. That's ridiculous what went on. Scary. Very scary," Anna Coleman said.

WREG was told the victim is getting better.

The hospital said he is in good condition.

Henderson is expected in court on Thursday morning.

Latest News

More News