MEMPHIS, Tenn. — One person was killed after multiple suspects opened fire near the airport overnight.
According to police, dispatch received a shots fired call from the 3000 block of Morningview just before 2 a.m. Wednesday. The caller said there were multiple individuals firing at each other.
When first responders arrived they found two victims shot. Both were taken to the Regional Medical Center where one of them later died.
Authorities have not released any information on the suspects.
Investigators were on the scene for hours, having to expand the crime scene several times as they kept finding evidence. A bloody shirt and dozens of shell casings were among the at least 66 pieces of evidence along the street.
Darryl Walker lives two blocks away and thought the incident happened next door.
“Like do, do, do, do it was unreal,” said Walker. “It sounded like the OK Corral. I’m talking about the Fourth of July.”
Another man told WREG’s Melissa Moon that there were so many shots that it rattled the shed in his back yard.
“I got my kids and we went into the bedroom,” he said.
Police had two vehicles towed from the area, but haven’t said how many people they believe were involved. If you know anything, call Crime Stoppers at (901) 528-CASH.
- 6 shootings in 7 days on Memphis highways
- Problem Solvers: ‘Peabody Valley’ landlord shows history of code violations
- Texas mom’s wired conversation with teen son helps police charge him in homicide
- Winslow sees Grizzlies, Memphis as the perfect fit
- Man killed after being punched on Las Vegas Strip identified, suspect gives little information to police