MEMPHIS, Tenn. — One person was killed and a second person injured following a shooting overnight in Midtown.
It happened around 11 p.m. Monday off Galloway Avenue at the Galloway Gardens Apartments.
Officers said by the time first responders arrived on the scene, the 17-year-old victim was already dead. A second man was located with a gunshot and transported to the hospital.
Police have not said what led up to the shooting, but believe the two males knew each other.
One neighbor told WREG’s Melissa Moon they heard several shots that sounded like they came from two different guns. Another person said he ran to help the young shooting victim, but it was too late.
The man who lives across the hall from the victim said crime just doesn’t happen in the neighborhood.
“I’ve been here almost four years and this is the first time anything like this. I’m mean not even break-ins, robberies or anything.”
He said the teen had only lived there for a couple of months and he has no idea what the shooting was about.
Three people who were spotted leaving the neighborhood were detained. It’s not clear if those individuals were victims, witnesses or suspects.
If you know anything, call Crime Stoppers at (901) 528-CASH.
- Small business owners say they need the community’s support during these uncertain times
- Experts: Virus numbers could be erratic after Thanksgiving
- Corral, Rebels jump out early, beat Mississippi St. 31-24
- Local 7-on-7 league provides new opportunity for student-athletes
- Black Friday sees record online as US shoppers stay home