Officer death shocks, saddens neighbors and city

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Another Memphis police officer was shot and killed.

Police director Toney Armstrong said 31-year-old Terence Olridge was shot in the 2600 block of Long Shadow Lane before 1 p.m Sunday.

Olridge was not on duty, but was heading to work and was in uniform.

He was taken to the hospital in critical condition and later died.

Police have one person in custody.

We have been told Olridge was shot by a neighbor, possibly while trying to break-up a domestic fight.

Olridge leaves behind his fiancée, who is four months pregnant.

Memphis Police spent hours in that Cordova neighborhood searching for clues in the shooting death.

Investigators said Olridge, who had only been on the force for 13 months, was shot multiple times.

Neighbors can't believe he's gone.

"It's kind of breathtaking," said a neighbor, who did not want to give us her name.

"I didn't think anything like this would happen, but it hits close to home. I have two little girls," another neighbor, Jim Thomas, said.

Neighbors watched in disbelief while police washed the blood stains off the home.

Police Director Toney Armstrong addressed the shooting Sunday afternoon, but police aren't saying much about exactly what happened.

"Everything is very, very sketchy," he said. "We're at the beginning phases of this investigation. There are more questions than we have answers right now."

Neighbors can't believe another officer who swore to protect the city from violence has become a victim.

Olridge's death hits the city and the Memphis Police Department hard; just over two months ago, Officer Sean Bolton was killed in the line of duty during a traffic stop.

"Pray for the family of this young man," Memphis Mayor AC Wharton said during the MPD news conference following Olridge's death. "I emphasize, he was a young man, relatively new to the department, so pray for him and his family and for the department."

"It wasn't very long that I stood probably in very close proximity to where I'm standing now, said something very similar to what I'm saying here," Armstrong said. "It just doesn't get any easier. I didn't think that we'd be here again so soon."

Armstrong asked the public to continue to pray for the police department. He also asked that we respect the family's privacy.


Latest News

More News