North Memphis home destroyed in early morning fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A space heater is to blame for a fire that destroyed a home early Tuesday morning in North Memphis, fire officials said.

The fire started around 3:15 a.m. on Hickory Avenue.

The homeowner had just left for work when flames quickly engulfed the home and even spread to the house next door. Authorities were able to contain the second fire before it did much damage.

The first home is a complete loss, fire crews said, and will have to be demolished.

No one was hurt.

Linda Johnson said her grandson got up in the middle of the night for some water, and that’s when she saw her neighbor’s house was on fire.

“God woke us up,” Johnson said. “We don’t usually wake up at this time in the morning.”

Johnson called firefighters who were able to put out the inferno in minutes and save her house. She also called her neighbor, who was at work.

Raphael Scott said when he left about an hour before the fire broke out, there were two space heaters running. He thinks one at the front of the house caused the fire.

As difficult as it was to watch a bulldozer demolish his home, Scott was just grateful he wasn’t here when it started.

“I thank god I’m alive,” he said.

And he has this message for others about space heaters in the home:

“Get rid of the space heaters. They are dangerous. They feel good, nice and cozy in your house, but not good for your house.”



Latest News

More News