Update: Noreaga Carter 18, was arrested and charged with Aggravated assault, evading arrest, possession of a deadly weapon, and theft of property.
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Police confirmed two people were in custody after a heavy police presence and manhunt Wednesday evening in North Memphis.
There was a heavy police presence in the 300 block of Decatur Street just after 5 p.m. The police activity lasted for over an hour.
Eyewitnesses in the area said there were dozens of officers, K-9 search dogs, and a helicopter swarming the neighborhood looking for suspects, and there was a white sedan, with all doors open, as police searched the vehicle.
People who live in the area said the situation stemmed from a car chase. No one was willing to be identified.
MPD confirmed there were two people in custody about calls they received about someone with a weapon.
The names of those in custody have not been released, and it is unclear why they were sought by Memphis Police.
- ‘Absurd’: $1B earmarked for PPE spent on body armor, jet parts
- MPD escorts homeless from abandoned vehicle inspection ahead of demolition
- Time running out to register to vote in TN, AR, MS
- Woman crushed to death by heavy machinery on California beach
- Desoto County man barricades himself in an attic and face-off with SWAT team