Update: Noreaga Carter 18, was arrested and charged with Aggravated assault, evading arrest, possession of a deadly weapon, and theft of property.
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Police confirmed two people were in custody after a heavy police presence and manhunt Wednesday evening in North Memphis.
There was a heavy police presence in the 300 block of Decatur Street just after 5 p.m. The police activity lasted for over an hour.
Eyewitnesses in the area said there were dozens of officers, K-9 search dogs, and a helicopter swarming the neighborhood looking for suspects, and there was a white sedan, with all doors open, as police searched the vehicle.
People who live in the area said the situation stemmed from a car chase. No one was willing to be identified.
MPD confirmed there were two people in custody about calls they received about someone with a weapon.
The names of those in custody have not been released, and it is unclear why they were sought by Memphis Police.
- GOP congressional delegations surge upon South Texas border again, demand Biden administration fix migrant ‘crisis’
- Pedaling for a purpose: Group of friends takes 800-mile bike ride for a good cause
- Pfizer, BioNTech ask FDA to approve use of vaccine in children ages 12 to 15
- Sheriff: Man arrested, charged with murder after victim found along Hacks Cross Road
- All scream for Dolly ice cream: Limited edition treat reselling for up to $1,000 online