MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A bar in Midtown has been temporarily closed as a public nuisance after an investigation by the District Attorney's Office.
Printers Alley Bar and Grill has been closed after investigators determined there was a pattern of drug trafficking, unlicensed liquor sales and other criminal activity at the bar, according to the district attorney's office. The bar is located in the 300 block of Cleveland Street.
The DA's office says that there have been at least 61 calls to police from that location. The calls range from 2015 through 2018, and have involved drugs, assaults, burglaries and weapons.
The pub is next to another restaurant, near a daycare and in an area many college students like Ivy Wetherill call home.
"It`s always nerve-racking to hear people could be committing crimes close to where you live," she said.
Police said complaints alleged that the owner of the bar was responsible for the sale of narcotics and unlicensed liquor.
The Memphis Police Organized Crime Unit reportedly made multiple undercover purchases of narcotics and illegal liquor from employees and patrons of the bar.
Police say they made three felony drug arrests, two misdemeanor drug arrests, three felony arrests and three warrant arrests at Printers Alley, and recovered marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, a handgun and $1,599 in cash from the bar.
According to MPD:
- 40-year-old Sedric Oliver was arrested on an active warrant for Contempt of Juvenile Court.
- 23-year-old Latarius Curry was arrested on active warrants for Aggravated Assault, Reckless Endangerment, and Contempt of Juvenile Court.
- 38-year-old Samuel Jones was arrested for Possession of Controlled Substance with Intent to Manufacture Dell/Sell to wit: Marijuana, and Possession of Controlled Substance to wit: Marijuana.
- 24-year-old Bridget Lee was arrested for Possession of Controlled Substance to wit: Cocaine.
- 42-year-old Ladarryl Winsley was arrested for Possession of Controlled Substance with Intent to Manufacture Del/Sell to wit: Cocaine, Possession of Controlled Substance to wit: Ecstacy, and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia.
- 37-year-old Latrell Williams was arrested for Possession of Controlled Substance with Intent to Manufacture Del/Sell to wit: Cocaine.
- 33-year-old Robert Graham was arrested for Possession of Controlled Substance with Intent to Manufacture Del/Sell and also for an active warrant for False Reporting.
- 26-year-old Lawrence Baker was arrested for Disorderly Conduct.
- 21-year-old Kelsey Clark was arrested for Possession of Controlled Substance to wit: Marijuana.
- 41-year-old Anthony McVay was arrested for Unlawful Storage of Liquor for Sale.
The club's owners are scheduled to appear in Environmental Court on Wednesday morning to argue against permanent closure.
"I've heard some knock-down, drag-out fights and stabbings going on in the street and a lot of confusion," John Littles said. "That's not normal."
[protected-iframe id="816dcaec5c96b281d8d481dd286d97eb-29519520-12543204" info="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fmpd1827%2Fposts%2F2461466120600399&width=500" width="500" height="770" frameborder="0" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no"]