Disabled woman, 2-year-old rescued from Coro Lake house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. —  The Memphis Fire Department says an child and an adult were taken to a hospital after a fire Friday morning in the Coro Lake community in southwest Memphis.

MFD said the fire broke out on Lakeridge around 4:30 a.m.

A man who lives at the house said four people were inside.

He said a disabled woman was unable to get out until emergency responders arrived.

Lieutenant Wayne Cooke with MFD said a 2-year-old was also pulled from the fire.

The father of the 2-year-old says the child is expected to be okay.

Fire officials said the cause was someone smoking in bed.

Lt. Cooke said there was no working smoke detectors inside of the home.

“These fires that happen overnight can be deadly,” Lt. Cooke said. “That smoke alarm will wake you up and get you sufficient time to help you exit the structure.”

The father of the child rescued told WREG that he is doing what he to salvage what’s left from a house they’ve called home for eight years.

Latest News

More News