MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A fire that started at a home in South Memphis spread to a recycling plant Wednesday morning, destroying a family’s home.
According to firefighters on the scene, the fire started around 3 a.m. at a home on Polk Avenue near Crump and Georgia.
That led to the fire spreading to the Park Place Recycling and Logistics business. The company’s website says Park Place recycles paper and other materials.
Jamal Roman-Carter said the home was all his family had left. His uncle lost everything in the fire.
“I feel sad about losing everything. My dad’s urn was in there and his ashes — he just died last year,” Roman-Carter said.
📲 Download the WREG App today and stay up to date with breaking news and weather.
📧 Sign up for WREG newsletters and have the latest top stories sent right to your inbox.
📡 See more breaking news, local news and weather from WREG.com for Memphis and the Mid-South.
Fire officials say the blaze was started when a 61-year-old man left his space heater on.