This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A Memphis Police Officer was locked up, charged with sexually assaulting a woman almost a year ago.

Eric Lee, a six year veteran with the department, was charged with aggravated sexual battery, official misconduct and official oppression for allegedly attacking a woman last November.

District Attorney General Amy Weirich has promised a heavy handed approach to tackling sexual assault and domestic violence in Shelby County.

So, WREG asked why it took almost a year to indict and arrest Lee.

“There are other situations where we may take a little bit more time, conduct an investigation and take it straight to the grand jury,” Weirich said.

Joyce Taylor, a Memphis resident wanted to know why it took so long?

Was it because it was one of their own?

Officials said Lee sexually assaulted a woman last November while she sat in her car at Peabody and South Main, waiting for her husband to get off work.

Weirich would not say whether the victim just now came forward or if the investigation really took 10 months.

WREG discovered Lee has been in trouble before.

He was reprimanded by the Police Department in 2013 for unauthorized search of a building and again for having his weapon accidentally discharge.

The domestic violence charge involving his live in girlfriend from January 2014 was seemingly wiped from his record completely.

He was suspended with pay for that incident.

Officials said the case may have been expunged.

Regardless, people said the accusation of sexual battery from last year was enough to make them question why he was still on the force at all.

“It makes you wonder who is protecting us,” Taylor said. “Who is going to protect us if they’re doing things to us? Who is going to protect us?”

Another man added, “Just like in everything else, there are bad people. Just because they were a badge doesn’t mean that they’re always good.”

“Regardless of what your job is, regardless of who pays your paycheck, we are going to make sure that victims are heard and people are held accountable,” General Weirich insisted.

Lee was suspended with pay.

His bond was set at $150,000.