This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
- Keep landscaped mulch beds moist especially in extreme heat.
- Provide a minimum of 18 inches between mulch and all combustible building materials.
- Provide noncombustible receptacles for smoking materials at all building entrances and designated smoking areas.
- Consider replacing mulch with decorative stones or gravel.
- Spread mulch in thin layers. Mulch that is spread too thick also increases the fire risk.
- Look for areas that are steaming or producing gray ask. Soak thoroughly with water.