MEMPHIS, Tenn. — On Friday, the franchisee of a local Cheddar’s restaurant settled allegations of sexual harassment by agreeing to pay $450,000 to 15 people.
The lawsuit was filed by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Court documents stated the Cheddar’s located on Winchester Road maintained a hostile work environment when it allowed sexual conversations and jokes to be made.
It also accused a general manager and bar manager of sexual harassment of several female workers.
The lawsuit specifically stated Cheddar’s managers asked employees for sexual favors and even touched them.
Besides having to pay the fine, the settlement also mandates the restaurant will complete the following:
• mandatory anti-harassment training;
• maintenance of workplace cameras;
• monitoring workplace behavior;
• notice of the settlement to Cheddar’s employees in its Memphis restaurant; and
• reporting future complaints of sexual harassment to EEOC for three years.