Medical examiner investigating death of man in nursing home with history of serious complaints


Ashton Place Nursing Home (Google)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Family members say an elderly man found with maggot-infested wounds in a Memphis nursing home has died.

Now the medical examiner is looking into the cause of death.

WREG reported on an investigation into the man’s condition Wednesday.

According to a police report, the resident of Ashton Place on Walnut Grove Road had five open wounds to different parts of his body and a bruise to his stomach. He also had severe dry skin that was “flaking off his body.”

The patient had previous health problems that led to his left foot and right leg being amputated. They found maggots inside the wound, according to police.

Family members Thursday said the man died overnight following surgery.

Memphis Police say they would wait for a ruling from the medical examiner before deciding whether to investigate the case as a homicide.

New documents uncovered by WREG investigators revealed an extensive list of serious complaints against Ashton Place, including sexual assault and death.

Records showed state and federal authorities have looked into more than 50 complaints since 2009. Many of them occurred this year.

In March, regulators investigated a patient death at the facility. Records showed the resident had undocumented falls and nurses did not have documentation of required neurology checks.

In April, the state documented the worst possible offense for a nursing home: putting residents in “immediate jeopardy” due to a reported sexual assault inside the facility. Documents showed it happened behind closed doors: “The failure of the facility to ensure privacy for resident 1, a vulnerable resident with special needs, from the sexual perpetrator, resulted in a serious and immediate threat to the health and safety of all the patients and placed them in immediate jeopardy and risk of serious injuries.”

State investigators blamed irresponsible staffing and faulty protocol.

WREG has tried multiple times to reach Ashton Place management for an explanation but has not received a response.

Latest News

More News