This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The man who told police he was kidnapped and robbed by four men in the middle of Harbor Town Square on Mud Island was arrested for filing a false report, according to Memphis Police.

Alberto Alexander Jenkins, 24, originally reported to police that on March 21, four men jumped into his vehicle behind Tug’s Casual Grill, pulled a gun on him and forced him to drive. Eventually, he said the suspects forced him out, taking his car, his phone and $750 in cash. 

But police say his story didn’t add up.

WREG has confirmed that Jenkins is the oldest son of Memphis Grizzlies head coach Taylor Jenkins, one of the hottest young names in the NBA coaching circle, who is currently in his second year in Memphis.

According to court documents, Jenkins’ report on what happened was “inconsistent,” leading officers to believe he might not be telling the truth. Jenkins then stated he did not wish to prosecute and was confronted about the incident, police said.

That’s when he reportedly admitted that he was trying to buy cocaine from the men, and they were all driving around together looking for the drugs. Scared, he abandoned his vehicle and his property in the men’s possession. The vehicle was eventually located at Third and Brooks, police said.

Jenkins was charged with one felony county of false reporting.

We reached out to Tug’s to see if Jenkins was still employed, but were told they are not commenting on this story.

We’ve also learned this is not Jenkins’ first run-in with authorities.

Jenkins was stopped and positively identified by Collierville police last October, after they say he showed up to a Poplar Avenue McDonald’s around midnight. He allegedly threw a female McDonald’s employee to the side and threatened to “merk” her and kill her when he wasn’t allowed inside, police said in a report.

That case was dropped when after numerous attempts, the victim refused to cooperate with Collierville police.

We reached out to the Grizzlies for comment about this behavior from their head coach’s oldest son. So far, we have not heard back.