HELENA-WEST HELENA, Ark. — A man is dead after he was shot outside of a store following an argument with another man over peas, police said.
Helena-West Helena Police said officers were called to the Ladino Market at 301 Ladino Street just before 8 p.m. Tuesday.
The store clerk told police the victim, 63-year-old Samuel Chatman, was arguing with another man, 57-year-old Curtis Holder, inside the store.
Police said Chatman accused Holder of stealing peas out his garden.
Police said Holder then pulled out a handgun and started firing shots at Chatman. Chatman was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.
Holder was arrested and charged with 2nd-degree murder and a firearms charge. He is being held in the Phillips County Detention Center on $450,000 bond.
Correction: Police on Wednesday corrected Chatman’s age following earlier reports.
- Citywide curfew set in Philadelphia after second night of protests
- 3 dead in knife attack in French church; terrorism suspected
- Woman critically injured after Whitehaven shooting
- Tracking the Tropics: Zeta moves northeast after battering Gulf Coast
- Shelby County deputy involved in I-40 crash