Police search for man who fled after four-vehicle wreck leaves one dead

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Police are still looking for a man involved in a deadly hit and run Monday night.

One man died following a four-vehicle crash in the Cherokee neighborhood on Monday.

Memphis Police said the crash happened around 7:30 p.m. in the 1400 block of Prescott Road.

Four vehicles were involved in the wreck, and one man was killed on the scene. Anther man was taken to the hospital in extremely critical condition.

Police said one driver fled the scene on foot, and they have not said that driver has been found.

Blinking blue and yellow lights blocked the intersection of Kimball Avenue and Prescott Road on Monday night while police cleaned up the wreck and searched for the man who fled.

But on Tuesday, Mary Futch was giving thanks as her husband, who was involved in the wreck, was sleeping and recovering.

“So that’s a blessing,” Futch said.

The couple lives just a short drive from the crash.

“It was very close to home,” she said.

As soon as Mary learned her husband had been in a wreck and their Nissan Maxima was totaled, she headed to the scene.

“It was just scary,” she said. “I could see him walking, as long as I could see him moving I was OK.”

But not everyone was as lucky, as one man died and another was taken to the hospital in critical condition.

“We couldn’t make it make sense, you know, the police kept asking the same questions, did you see anything? Did you hear anything?” Futch said.

According to others in the crash, one of the drivers was speeding down Prescott in a truck when he collided with another car, causing a chain reaction of other vehicles to crash.

The driver of the speeding truck then took off running.

People we talked to said that intersection has it’s fair share of collisions.

Mary’s family, now dealing with their own set of issues since the crash, knows things could be worse.

“I just feel bad for the family of whoever was in the car,” she said. “Cars, all that, can be replaced, but somebody actually lost their life, and that’s pretty devastating.”

WREG also tracked down a man who said he is the grandfather of the 22-year-old man who police said ran from the scene. He said he has not heard from his grandson but believes he should turn himself in.

We reached out to police to confirm the driver’s identity, but so far have not heard back.

Latest News

More News