UPDATE: One suspect was identified Tuesday after police say he was treated, released from hospital. New story here.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – A man is in critical condition after exchanging gunfire with a Memphis Police officer in the parking lot of Huey’s restaurant in East Memphis on Sunday.

According to MPD, around 7:13 p.m., an off-duty police officer was in the 4800 block of Poplar Avenue when he saw three or four suspects in the parking lot breaking into a Dodge Charger.

When the officer approached the suspects and told them he was an MPD officer, one of the suspects started shooting at him, reports say. The off-duty officer returned gunfire.

A Huey’s customer said she was inside the restaurant when she heard several gunshots. “It just happened so fast,” the customer said. “I start crying because I was scared that they might go inside the restaurant and start shooting.”

Witnesses say one suspect crashed on Mendenhall and ran away.

A suspect later arrived at St. Francis Hospital with a gunshot wound and was later transferred to Regional One Hospital in critical but stable condition.

📧 Sign up for WREG newsletters and have the latest top stories sent right to your inbox.

📲 Download the WREG App today and stay up to date with breaking news and weather.

📡 See more breaking news, local news and weather from WREG.com for Memphis and the Mid South.

The off-duty officer was not injured.

This is still an ongoing investigation, and officers are still looking for other suspects involved.

Huey’s has released the following statement:

“We know many of you are saddened and worried by the events that occurred in the parking lot of our Huey’s Poplar location last night, as we are. …

“Our team will continue to take precautions to ensure our stores’ safety and to preserve the atmosphere we’re known for. We appreciate all of you for your unrivaled support and for checking in on our team members during this time. Our Poplar location is back up and running and will be open to welcome customers today.”