MEMPHIS, Tenn. — An elderly man is dead and dozens of other people are displaced after the nursing home burned to the ground overnight in Hickory Hill. 

The 72-year-old man was killed during the fire at Feels Like Home Senior Lifestyle Residences on the 3300 block Kirby Road near Knight Arnold after 9 p.m.

WREG has the latest on where the Memphis Fire Department stands in its investigation. 

“It’s burnt down. Ain’t no more living there no more,” Myron Williams said.

Residents sat outside and watched as their home burned to the ground. According to the Memphis Fire Department, the building went up in flames around eight Thursday night. 

“You know it’s really like starting all over. The only thing I have now is the clothes on my back,” Williams said.

Myron Williams was one of the 47 people residents to make it out alive.  Sadly, one person – a 72-year-old man – died in the fire. Two others were taken to the hospital in non-critical condition, but they are expected to be okay.

“Like a tinder box. Once it started from the back, it circled the building in the back and came through the middle and ended up front,” Williams said.

MFD says it appears the fire started in a lower unit on the south side of the building. The exact cause is still undetermined.

Crews made it to the scene within 5 minutes of the initial call. However, officials say the building is a total loss. $500,000 dollars worth of contents were destroyed, and the property itself was valued at $1,000,000.

Fire crews spent the entire morning at the scene making sure every single flame was put out in this massive building. A spokeswoman with the Memphis Fire Department said the last thing they want is for the fire to reignite.

The seniors were transported by MATA buses to a nearby hotel.

In a statement on Facebook, administrators with the nursing facility say:

“Our first priority is the well-being of our seniors and updating their families about what has occurred. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we mourn and navigate the days and weeks ahead.”

At this time, the cause of the fire is still under investigation.