MEMPHIS, Tenn. — New details are emerging about what prompted a heavy police presence at a Memphis-Shelby County elementary school Wednesday.

Desperation filled the air outside Double Tree Elementary Wednesday, as parents watched in agony, while waiting to reunite with their children, following a report of a suspicious person near campus.

Memphis-Shelby County Schools reached out to Memphis Police after students told a staff member someone was passing out candy, which made one of them sick.

According to a police report, students told an adult that a male was outside the school in a white van passing out candy. The police report also said multiple children saw another child getting pulled into a vehicle.

Wednesday afternoon, an MPD spokesperson told WREG they have not found any evidence an abduction occurred. They also have not received any missing person’s report involving a student from the school.

As for the candy, investigators say a student got it from a relative.  One child was transported to Le Bonheur in non-critical condition after eating the candy.

MPD said investigators worked with school staff and Shelby County School officers to make sure every student was accounted for. They said there is no evidence that an abduction or crime occurred.

In a statement released Thursday, MSCS said the candy was sent off to a lab for testing.

“Wednesday morning, school officials received a report about a suspicious person near campus who allegedly passed out candy to a small group of students. There was also a report of an alleged abduction. We could not confirm these reports after reviewing our security cameras, yet still handled them with the seriousness that they deserved. We immediately collected all candy from the group of students who were in the area at the time, contacted the police and the parents of those students, and sent the candy to a lab for testing.”

Meanwhile, MPD said it determined the vehicle in question belongs to the guardian of one of the students, and that guardian was allowed on campus.

We’re told the child has been released from the hospital.

In a letter to parents, MSCS described this as a teachable moment to reinforce the importance of safety and integrity.