MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The promoter for a Whitehaven nightclub that police say was at the center of shooting over the weekend is giving his version of the story for the first time.

He says started with a drive-by shooting in the parking lot, and some shots went into the club. Some witnesses say there was shooting inside, but police documents released Monday evening suggest the shooting was outside the club.

One person is dead and five people are still recovering from critical injuries Monday after a shooting that began just after midnight Sunday at Live Lounge at 1482 E. Shelby Drive.

Two people have been arrested: Ladarious Marion, 21, was arrested Monday, and is charged in a warrant with second-degree murder, attempted second-degree murder and employment of a weapon during a dangerous felony.

Julius Freeman, 21, was taken into custody and charged with the following: Facilitation of second-degree murder; five counts of possession of firearm/dangerous felony; and five counts of criminal attempt facilitation-second degree murder.

According to court documents, two females were found shot outside the club early Sunday morning in critical condition. 

Several other victims were found at another location nearby, shot inside a car. Others were taken to the hospital by private vehicle. Police believe the two shootings were related.

In all, 11 people shot, one of them killed, police say.

According to a social media post by the event’s promoter, someone in a car was seen firing a gun in a drive-by style shooting outside the club. Bullets hit one woman in the parking lot and through the window of the club to hit another woman sitting inside at a booth. 

He says later on, more shots were fired outside the club. 

In his post, he says, “We do plan on reaching back out to MPD so we can get some accurate information … But only one person was shot inside the building due to a bullet coming thru the window from OUTSIDE. Everything else took place outside!” 

Witnesses say this is not correct.  They say they saw people firing guns inside the club. 

Kandi Williams was inside the club when the shots rang out. 

“I just remember my sister snatching me, pushing me down, jumping on me, and then everybody else piled on me, but the shots kept going off,” Williams said. “There was probably about seven shots inside the building, numerous shots outside the building. It was like they was doing it for fun.”

However, according to documents related to Marion’s arrest, video surveillance showed that a white Mercury Milan pulled up to the club, and someone inside began firing shots into the club.

An unknown man fired a shot into the air, then got into the Mercury with five men, police said.

A Dodge Charger stopped them as they tried to leave, and as people were exiting the club, according to police. After an altercation, a man stepped out of the Charger with a rifle and fired into the Mercury, police said.

When officers arrived, they found four men in the Mercury who were taken to hospitals in critical condition, one man in non-critical condition, and the unidentified man who had fired into the air, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police say the incident is still under investigation.