MEMPHIS, Tenn. — One person is in the hospital after an early morning house fire in southwest Memphis.

The home, located on Hewett Road near Southaven Road, was fully engulfed in flames when the Memphis Fire Department arrived.

Investigators say the cause of the fire was an unattended kerosene heater.

The fire department says an ambulance took the victim to the Regional Medical Center in non-critical condition with burns to his leg. No firefighters were injured.

Mallory Cox lives a few houses down from the home and says she heard a loud noise outside. “We didn’t think nothing of it because a lot of people shoot around here.” It wasn’t until she heard a second explosion that she knew something was wrong. 

MFD says there is roughly $49,000 in damages.