UPDATE: WREG has confirmed that the fifth victim who was transported to Regional One in critical condition passed away on March 3.


MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Four people, including two children, were killed in a house fire overnight in Frayser, the Memphis Fire Department confirms.

According to the MFD Watch Commander, the fire happened in the 900 block of Par Avenue shortly after 2 a.m. The victims were 8, 10, 33, and 62 years old.

A fifth victim, 51, survived the fire and was taken to the hospital in critical condition. Neighbors say they saw him standing outside the home as flames ripped through.

“First, we were just standing there because we didn’t think anyone was in the house. Then, the guy that was out there, he was like, ‘My kids are in there, my kids are in there,'” said Gabe Voorhies, neighbor.

The Memphis Fire Department’s spokesperson, Qwanesha Ward, confirmed that the fire was accidentally caused by a space heater. “Make sure you have a working smoke detector, and if you do have a space heater in your home, make sure it is at least four feet away and that you don’t leave it running in the middle of the night.”