MEMPHIS, Tenn. — People in the Evergreen Historic District say a pair of elementary school students have been busy this week stealing packages and other items from outside their homes.
Several thefts along North Parkway, Evergreen, Stonewall, and Angelus were caught on camera.
In one video, you can see two young boys casing a house. Then, one of the boys wearing orange tennis shoes runs up to the house and snatches a package. The victim did not want to be identified but said the theft happened around 1 p.m. Wednesday.
Police said they haven’t received any report of thefts involving children in the North Parkway area, but several people have posted pictures of the young thieves on the Nextdoor App.
“He looks like he should be in school at 1 p.m. on a Wednesday,” said Darisa Davis.
In one post, a woman said the boys stole a bike from the front porch of her house at Forest Thursday. Another person also posted pictures Thursday of a boy in the same orange shoes taking a package off her front porch.
“I see that these two have robbed several people in the neighborhood. Has Anyone called police,” said Shea Vowell.
One neighbor said she saw the boys hand a stolen package to a man in a large blue SUV.
Victims are warning neighbors in the Evergreen Historic District to be on the lookout for the young thieves and to keep an eye on their packages and deliveries.
“I’m redirecting as many of my deliveries as possible,” said Betsie Brown.
Memphis Police have a few tips to help you keep your items secure.
- Install security cameras around your home
- Try to arrange for packages to be delivered when you will be at home
- Have packages delivered to your workplace if you will not be home
- Consider having packages sent to a drop-off location
- Buy a secure drop-off box for your own property
- Sign up for your delivery company’s package tracking service
- Consider selecting the signature required option when waiting for delivery
If you recognize the children or have any information that can help the police, call CrimeStoppers at (901)-528-CASH.