Hostage Victim Shares Story in Deadly Police Shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

(Blytheville, AR) The hostage in a deadly shooting involving a Blytheville police officer shared what happened Saturday morning with News Channel 3.

Terrence Dawson was shot and killed by an officer during a hostage situation.

While the victim believes her boyfriend was out of control that morning, she doesn't believe police needed to take his life to protect her.

Balloons, greeting cards, and pictures were placed around a tree outside the house where Terrence Dawson was shot and killed by a Blytheville Police Officer Saturday,  as he held his girlfriend hostage.

“Everybody knows he is gone, but he is still loved,” said his mother, Mildred Bruce.

Dawson's girlfriend, Carrie Payne, told News Channel 3 what happened as her boyfriend threatened her with a knife, cutting her on the nose and cheek and then holding her hostage.

She says she felt like her life was in danger.

Payne says Dawson was in a rage after an argument.  Someone called 911 and when police arrived Dawson was holding a knife at her neck.  She's glad police stepped in to save her, but wished they didn't use deadly force. She says they shot him in the shoulder and leg as she was held captive next to him.

“The way the police went about it, they went about it wrong,” said Payne. “That's basically what I want everybody to know because they could have tasered him instead of shoot him.”

Blytheville Police would not comment on the case, saying it was still under investigation, but the Arkansas State Police says it is gathering evidence on the shooting to make sure the officer acted within the state laws of 'use of force'.

Payne is sad the standoff ended like this, now forcing her to raise the couple's unborn child alone.

“It is terrifying me,” she said. “I'm being strong right now, but it's terrifying me because I have a child on the way and its terrifying me.”

The officer has been relieved of duty with pay while an investigation into the shooting is complete.

Latest News

More News