MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A husband, wife and their three small children were able to escape a house fire this morning after their house caught fire in the middle of the night.
The back of the house was completely destroyed after the fire ripped through the home just after 3 a.m. Thursday.
The family pet was the one to alert everyone to the fire.
The homeowner didn’t want to talk on camera, but said his wife and three young kids made it out safely, but said he went out back to move a gas grill away from the house. That’s when he received first-degree burns to his face, arms, hands and feet.
Neighbors told WREG they are just glad it wasn’t worse.
“I`m glad the kids are alright and everybody is fine.”
Fire investigators said a heat lamp too close to the dog house started the fire and it spread to the outside of the home. The homeowners said at least 50 percent of the home is gone.