KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Authorities say one person has died after a helicopter crashed into the Tennessee River.
A Knoxville Fire Department spokesman says three others escaped the wreckage late Monday and were rescued by a pontoon boat on the river. They refused medical treatment.
The agency said nearby residents called authorities after the crash happened around 7:40 p.m., and the fire department sent crews into the water to search for the fourth victim.
A Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman said the victim’s body was recovered around 9:45 p.m.
None of the people onboard have been identified.
The National Transportation Safety Board is determining the cause of the crash.
- 3 people shot, including a child who’s in critical condition on Monday night
- ‘Absurd’: $1B earmarked for PPE spent on body armor, jet parts
- MPD escorts homeless from abandoned vehicle inspection ahead of demolition
- Time running out to register to vote in TN, AR, MS
- Woman crushed to death by heavy machinery on California beach