Deadly Drummonds mobile home fire ruled accidental

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DRUMMONDS, Tenn. — The fire that left two young children dead in Drummonds was determined to be accidental.

Chief Henry Posey with the Atoke Fire Department told WREG the mother rushed over to her parents home right next door following a medical emergency. Within minutes of her leaving, smoke could be seen coming from inside the mobile home.

The children, 4-year-old Katie and 2-year-old Christopher, were asleep inside the home. Two other children were at school at the time of the blaze.

The family rushed back over to the home, but because of the flames could not gain entry.

The children have been brought to Memphis for an autopsy.

Authorities said a space heater was found inside the home, and it could not be ruled out as the heat source that initiated the fire.

If you would like to help this family, click here.

Family said donations are being taken at Lighthouse Apostolic Church at 2536 Tracy Rd, Atoka, Tn from 6pm-9pm Thursday and Friday.

‘The fire just exploded’: Great grandfather burned trying to save children in fire recounts experience


Latest News

More News