LAUDERDALE COUNTY, Tenn. — The daughter of a woman killed during a prison escape in Lauderdale County is now suing the state.
Shernaye Johnson accused the Tennessee Department of Corrections of negligence in the lawsuit. She said the department failed to properly secure or provide adequate staffing to protect her mother Debra Johnson’s home, which was on the grounds of the West Tennessee State Penitentiary.
Authorities say Curtis Watson killed the 64-year-old prison administrator as he escaped the facility last year.
Johnson’s daughter wants $5 million in damages.
- Midtown haunted house opens with health rules in place
- Memphis lawmaker seeks to ban no-knock warrants statewide
- Shelby County Election Commission tests new smartphone program to help voters avoid long lines
- Woman shot in Whitehaven; two suspects on the run
- Shelby County Sheriff calls use of new ‘e-shields’ a ‘regrettable mistake’