MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A clerk was killed in a shooting at a northeast Memphis gas station overnight.
Police surrounded the Mapco station on Whitten Road at Hillshire on Friday morning.
Duke Dorsey said he stopped at the store around 2 a.m. to fill up and when he went inside to pay, he made the gruesome discovery.
“I wanted to get something to eat so I was going to get gas,” Dorsey said. “No one in the store was responding or nothing. You know, he was just, I saw his feet laying so I just peeked around. And that was it.”
Dorsey is a regular at the Mapco, although he didn’t know the clerk by name. After he finished talking to police, he tried to console the people who worked with the clerk.
The body was removed around 7 a.m. Police have not identified the victim or made an arrest.
Police said the shooting appeared to stem from an attempted robbery.
- “Everything was on fire,” witnesses describe moments after Alabama plane crash
- Dak Prescott signed a football for a sick Texas teen, now she’s returning the ‘faith’
- Americans sweet on chocolate, baked goods during pandemic, study finds
- Second stimulus checks: Pelosi still hoping to strike deal before election
- Senate votes to advance Amy Coney Barrett; confirmation expected Monday