This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A 24-year-old man and a 13-year-old were charged after a 11-year-old was shot Sunday night in Whitehaven.

The incident happened on Bonnie Drive at the Graceland Farm Apartments.

The adult was identified as Rashad Thompson. He was charged with reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon.

The 13-year-old was charged with aggravated assault.

WREG’s Jonee Lewis was told by police that the 13-year-old learned that his cousin Thompson had a gun and was under the impression that it was not loaded. He then pulled the trigger and fired the gun, striking the 11-year-old.

Authorities said the 13-year-old was holding his brother when they arrived on the scene.

Donald Davis, senior pastor at Spiritual Union Abide in Christ Ministries, said the two brothers are faithful members of their church and were just at church hours before the shooting.

“This is actually less than 24 hours,” Davis said. “We saw them Sunday morning, and this happened Sunday night. So you can imagine the impact. You just witnessed them, you just hugged them, and next thing you know one is fighting for their life, and the other is charged.”

Davis said the boys sing in their youth choir, help elderly members and brighten the spirits of the whole congregation. He said now, it’s the boys’ family that needs uplifitng.

“How can you encourage a family going through something like this, but you try your best to encourage them,” Davis said. “They’re full of tears. I’m full on tears. It’s just been a difficult moment not just for the church but for the family.”

Davis said he is still hold onto faith, and he knows the boys are doing the same.

“God got it from here,” Davis said. “He’s still in control, regardless of what people say or people think. The Lord is in control. Our hope, our faith is built on him and nothing less.”

The 11-year-old victim was rushed to Le Bonheur’s Children’s Hospital after the shooting, where he is still recovering and is in critical condition.

Thompson is scheduled in court Tuesday.