California mother outraged, looking for answers after 18-month-old dies at day care


Photo: GoFundMe

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FONTANA, Calif. — A day care in California told a mother her 18-month-old son choked on his teething necklace, but the mom believes he was strangled.

On Oct. 5, the child was reported not breathing while at Marriott Family Child Care, and medical personnel and police came to the scene, our sister station KTLA reported.

Medics performed CPR and brought the baby to the hospital, where he was placed on life support.

The boy’s mother, Danielle Morin, wrote on Facebook Deacon was declared dead after failing numerous brain death tests. She did not have a choice about taking him off life support, she wrote.

The boy’s grandmother told KTLA Tuesday that Deacon remained on life support so that his organs can be donated.

“Our sweet baby Deacon peacefully went to be with the Lord today,” a GoFundMe page said Monday. “Danielle has made the decision to donate his organs so another family’s prayers can be answered. This is about a 24-48 hour process in finding a match recipient.”

The family is in mourning and upset.

“This is my baby why can’t you understand my pain,” she wrote.

Morin wrote that though the day care said he chocked on his Amber teething necklace, “his medical examinations have shown another story” that he was strangled. She said it’s unclear whether the necklace was involved.

Morin also said the day care facilities have been on probation for three years and have received infractions on their license.

Though she was unimpressed with the detective not following up with her on the case, she thanked the doctors and nurses at Kaiser hospital in Fontana.

“I do not know how they come to work everyday but without this team I do not know if I would have had the time with my baby that I did,” she wrote. “They have jumped through hoops for me and my baby and I can not thank them enough.”

As of Wednesday evening, the GoFundMe had raised more than $33,000.


Latest News

More News