OLIVE BRANCH, Miss. — A section of eastbound Highway 78 (near Hacks Cross Road) near Olive Branch, Mississippi, was closed late Wednesday night, as police are working an accident.
According to an official with the DeSoto County Sheriff’s office, a deputy made a traffic stop and took a man into custody. DCSO said the man slipped out of the handcuffs and ran.
The sheriff’s office said a K-9 unit caught the man, but he ran away again into traffic, where and was hit by a vehicle and killed.
The sheriff’s office said the man is from California and had 30 pounds of marijuana in his car.
This is a developing story.
- Governor Bill Lee urges Tennesseans to follow COVID safety protocols as cases continue to rise
- Deputies: man exposed himself to woman in grocery store parking lot
- Car theft suspect found hiding in truck bed after fleeing police
- UPDATE: Pregnant woman critically injured, unborn baby killed in shooting on I-10 in Louisiana
- Second stimulus checks: What’s the status of $1,200 payments?