Fire at Durham School Services building ruled accidental

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- More than 50 employees were inside Durham Bus Services office when the building burst into flames Tuesday morning.

Two buses burned as well.

Investigators say the fire was started accidentally, when employees were trying to transfer gasoline between two containers.

Two employees suffered minor burns to their arms, but should be ok.

Firefighters, on the other hand, had to deal with another danger in addition to the flames. Firefighters struggled in sweltering morning heat. "It's difficult, extreme hot temperatures..." Wayne Cooke with the Memphis Fire Department said.

Extra units were brought in to help, but water and breaks only go so far when it is this hot, especially when fighting fires is your day job. "There's a lot of equipment that they are carrying, sometimes up to 100 pounds," Cooke said.

Even with the heat, crews knocked the fire down fast. "We were able to gain entry and bring this fire under control in about 22 minutes," Cooke told WREG.

Calls to Durham Bus Service were not returned.


Latest News

More News